Pre-Construction is arguably the most important portion of any project. It's where we bring the design ideas to life, interview and select a contractor/builder for the project, finalize the financials for both the construction and the finishes and get everyone ready to make your dreams come true. We find that a well orchestrated Pre-Construction phase can simplify and shorten the length of any construction in your home.
PLANNING & PREPARATION
BRINGING THE DREAM TO LIFE
During this phase our design team begins the process of transitioning the project from design to construction. This includes:
- Briefing the contractor/builder on the scope and details of the project
- Developing the Construction Scope of Work
- Developing pricing on all the finishes that have been selected
- Documenting the design minutiae that the contractor/builder will need at the job site
This process has been refined over the years to ensure that the hand off from the design phase to the construction phase of the project runs smoothly and efficiently and that the design comes to life.
MAKING SENSE OF THE NUMBERS
To get accurate pricing for your project, we work with contractors to schedule and attend a Job Walk for all the sub-contractors that will be working on the project to look at the job site, ask pointed questions about design scope and finishes.
Our proposal can be presented in tandem with the contractor/builder or as a separate proposal from LeavittHaas. We recommend that your finish budget be kept separate from your build budget, as in our experience, construction budgets can "eat into" the finish budget if they are integrated as one fee.
PROCUREMENT & CONSULTING
LET'S GET GOING!
Once the finish proposal has been approved, we issue a Purchasing Contract for signatures by all parties and begin the process of procurement. Procurement includes:
- Ordering finishes, windows, doors and cabinetry
- Working with homeowners and builders to determine delivery based on the timeline
- Working with builders to troubleshoot issues / concerns
- Development of a detailed binder full of pertinent information about each of the finish selections.
During construction, we like to stay involved with regular site visits to ensure that your dream is coming to life. Sometimes during a project, unforeseen obstacles come up that affect the overall design, and keeping the designer in the loop allows us to help troubleshoot problems and come up with design solutions that keep your project on track.